Wednesday 1 February 2017

Charles Causley, Celebrating Spring in North Cornwall



A little early, but I've been busy making travel arrangements for the Spring.


Charles Causley, Celebrating Spring


The Seasons in North Cornwall



O Spring has set off her green fuses


Down by the Tamar today,


And careless, like tide-marks, the hedges,


Are bursting with almond and may.





Here lie I waiting for old summer,


A red face and straw-coloured hair has he:


I shall meet him on the road from Marazion


And the Mediterranean Sea.





September has flung a spray of rooks


On the sea-chart of the sky,


The tall shipmasts crack in the forest


And the banners of autumn fly.





My room is a bright glass cabin,


All Cornwall thunders at my door,


And the white ships of winter lie


In the sea-roads of the moor.





Charles Causley,

Collected Poems 1951 – 2000 (Picador)

No comments:

Post a Comment